Rebloggable by request
Reasons Why I Don’t Think James Potter Bullied Snape
- “James and Snape hated each other from the moment they set eyes on each other, it was just one of those things, you can understand that, can’t you?” -Sirius Black, OOTP, p. 590
- “Well, Snape was a special case. He never lost an opportunity to curse James so you couldn’t really expect James to take that lying down, could you?” -Remus Lupin, OOTP, p. 591
- “…it was also enchanted to forever repel (as insultingly as possible) the curiosity of their nemesis, Severus Snape.” -JK Rowling, Pottermore, Marauder’s Map. The term nemesis, as defined by Dictionary.com means “an opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.” Implying they were on equal footing. As in anything Snape received, he paid back in full.
- In Snape’s Worst Memory, James attacks Snape with a common jinx (that Snape himself invented) and Snape retaliates with a dark curse. What makes anyone think that Snape was incapable of using one to incapacitate James or Sirius?
- Snape had a group of friends who grew up to be Death Eaters and who harassed Muggle-borns in school. I’m sure they attempted retaliation on the Marauders. It doesn’t make any sense that they would choose not to fight against those who they most likely hate most, meaning that Snape would have just as much ability to double-team James.
- It takes a certain amount of compassion to dedicate your life to saving innocent people, and James was a member of the Order of the Phoenix. If he really harassed and tortured Snape to make him feel like shit, as is implied by many, I doubt he would have enough compassion to join an organization based on protecting everyone (read: you would have to save people you hated sometimes).
- Literally everyone who talks about James other than Snape loves him. Dumbledore, Hagrid, Sirius, Remus, everyone. Surely if he was that terrible to someone, at least one other person would hate him, wouldn’t they?
Florence’s vocals… impeccable!